Downtown parking has been liberated—sort of.
Last week, on October 14th, the Parc Auto Du Centre-ville parking garage, located at 121 E. Vermilion Street, entered into the 21st century by becoming self-serving.
The Heavens and the earth rejoice!
You are now required to prepay to park using their conveniently located self-pay parking kiosk near the ground floor elevators and on Polk Street.
Many times I have avoided parking in that garage due to not having cash. While some may have been just fine and dandy paying in cash; others, like myself, who rarely carry cash have had to make the walk of shame to the Chase Bank ATM to get a $20 and pay a $3 processing fee—just to park. And for months—maybe longer—the self-pay kiosk have been in place but covered with black bags.
The specifics on how to use the self-pay kiosks are outlined below:
Parking rates are $1.00 per hour with a Max of $5.00 per day.
Pay stations are located on the ground level near the elevator and on the sidewalk on Polk Street.
To use the pay station your license plate# is required.
1. Enter your license plate number.
2. Insert your payment method. Cash or Credit/Debit Cards accepted.
- If you pay with cash no change will be given.
- There is $0.25 processing fee for all Credit/Debit Card transactions
3. Press the + key to add additional time.
4. Select OK and the receipt will print.
- You do not need to place the receipt in the vehicle.
Failure to pay for parking will result in your vehicle being cited. Parking Fines begin at $35.00